The East Bay Young Democrats (EBYD) is the East Bay’s largest Democratic organization for young progressive Democrats. We are shaping the Democratic Party for the next generation and promoting the interests of young adults in local, state, and national politics.
EBYD works to encourage young people (from 14 to 35 years old) in Alameda and Contra Costa counties to take an active role in their community through activism, policy, and politics and contribute to the growth and influence of the ideals and philosophy of the Democratic Party.
We strive to promote candidates, ballot measures, and policies that:
- Advance economic, environmental, and social justice in all East Bay communities;
- Help and empower young people and members of marginalized communities to be able to afford to live and thrive in the Bay Area;
- Ensure that the East Bay remains a vibrant, diverse, and welcoming community;
- Continue the Bay Area’s leadership in environmental protection and accessible and affordable transit; and
- Defend the civil/human rights and civil liberties of everyone in our community.
Sounds progressive? Then you should read our full platform!
How is EBYD Run?
EBYD is lead by an elected executive board. This board is tasked with carrying out the will of the general membership and promoting the organization pursuant to its bylaws.
The 2018 Executive Board consists of:
- Toni Gomez, President
- Nayeli Maxson, Vice President of Membership
- James Chang, Vice President of Fundraising
- Alfred Twu, Vice President of Programming
- Amy Randel, Vice President of Political Affairs
- John Minot, Secretary
- Ernest Brown, Controller
- Zac Goldstein, Director of Communications
- Alison Grady, Policy Director
- Stefan Elgstrand, Parliamentarian
- Sean Dugar, Immediate Past President
- Eric Medrano, Northern Alameda County Representative
- Denton Murphy, Southern Alameda County Representative
- Christina Becker, West Contra Costa Representative
*Appointed by the President and ratified by the Executive Board
Join a Working Group!
EBYD cannot thrive on an active executive board alone. This organization needs an involved membership! We encourage all our members to join a working group.
Policy and Political Affairs Working Group
The Policy and Political Affairs Working Group acts as a resource to membership through proactive policy analysis, respectful deliberation, and member engagement on key/relevant policy issues. The Working Group provides well-researched recommendations to inform membership with regard to organizational policy/political positions. The Working Group also leads efforts to advance organizational policy and political priorities.
Membership and Outreach Working Group
Chair: Vice President of Membership Nayeli Maxson
The Membership and Outreach Working Group has multiple responsibilities. Members of this committee will help to develop a membership outreach plan, welcome new members to the organization, develop and maintain databases and outreach information, and represent the organization at various events and activities. Each committee member will be responsible for a specific region with oversight and mentorship from the chair. This will be an intense opportunity to delve into the vast work of expanding our membership and building the organization’s impact throughout the East Bay.
Events Working Group
Chair: Vice President of Programming Alfred Twu
The EBYD Events Working Group is tasked with planning our monthly themed meetings as well as quarterly membership events and fundraisers. Working Group Members will be able to assist with various phases of all EBYD events, from planning to execution.
"We need the courage of the young. Yours is not the task of making your way in the world, but the task of remaking the world which you will find before you. May every one of us be granted the courage, the faith and the vision to give the best that is in us to that remaking!"
-U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University commencement address, 1932